History

church_pic1smchurch_pic2smchurch_pic4sm
The First Presbyterian Church of Corpus Christi was formed on May 12, 1867, following the Civil War, with eight members. Construction materials were purchased for a building, but the yellow fever epidemic of 1897, (which killed one-fifth of the city’s white population) also killed the church’s minister and one member. The wooden construction materials were used for coffins.
 
In 1868 the church’s first building was built, without window panes or pews and with only a dirt floor. By 1875 the membership grew to fifty, and in 1879 a manse was built.
Early in the 1900s lots were purchased where the present Six Hundred Building is located, and a handsome red brick structure was erected by Henrietta King in memory of her husband, Capt. Richard   King, with beautiful Tiffany stained glass windows in memory of her father, who had established the first Presbyterian church in South Texas at Brownsville in the 1850s. Following the disastrous hurricane and tidal wave of 1919, the Red Brick Church -served as shelter and sustenance for the city. The women of the church served food to about 700 people a day.
 
In 1903, Mrs. Rachel Doddridge bequeathed her home on Upper Broadway to the church, and on August 17, 1930, the present sanctuary was built and our church moved into its present location. The three story Doddridge building houses the church’s offices, choir facilities, library, chapel and children’s Sunday School rooms. The construction note was paid off during the depression. After World War II the buildings were air conditioned and the lots north and south of the building were purchased. Then, during the church’s Centennial Celebration in 1967, a new wing was added to house Kleberg Hall, the living room, kitchen and additional class rooms.